Thursday, April 10, 2014

Digital Portfolios

Chapter 11 – Engaging Students in Performance Assessment and Reflective Learning

Focus Question: How can teachers and students use digital portfolios as tools for learning?


The truth is that technology is a powerful tool for assessing performance because it allows student expression in creative and dynamic ways. Digital portfolios are useful tools to both teachers and students. The purposes as similar as they are different. For the teacher, a digital portfolio is a collection of educational and professional materials stored in an electronic format. It serves as an organized collection of materials that shows a teacher’s growth and development over time. It may contain digital copies of paper materials, but can also include video, audio, PowerPoints, photographs, and other multimedia materials. I particularly preferred this type of organization as I prepared an electronic portfolio for my Principal. The first year I did it, I was the only teacher in the entire school to present an electronic version. I particularly liked it, as it allowed for easy access, it had ready-made portability, was a means for me to creatively display information, it built on my experience in developing technology skills, and allowed for the sharing of information with the wider educational community; in my time, we shared on the school’s educator’s database called “Edu-shr”; other teachers in our school were able to access my portfolio in that database. As I recall, the digital portfolio was my personal effort to display a collection of my work for the year. I shared what I was able to do and accomplish in the classroom using periodically collected data, pictures, evaluations I received from administration throughout the school year, my certificates and awards, videos of an engaged classroom in action, lesson plans and so much more. I was able to hyperlink lesson plans to the database and this I found to be more convenient, especially since I created my own interactive and interesting PowerPoints which were outlined in my lesson plans. Finally, I would forward the link to my electronic portfolio to my Administrators the evening prior to my scheduled appointment, and this allowed them to get familiar with the material for our scheduled discussion. I found this way easier than to walk around with the usual huge, white folder with the much accumulated material. Additionally, this technique was less expensive.

The fact that I was the only teacher using the digital portfolio in the school that year found more teachers opting to go digital the following year. The change from paper to digital portfolios was a huge shift from the norm. Not only did we take the electronic route as teachers, we encouraged our students to go digital as well. We traditionally had our students build well decorated, time consuming, paper-bound portfolios at the beginning of the school year. With the decision to use digital portfolios for students as well, the students would build their portfolios and that called for an increase in the technological skills and confidence of each student. They needed to learn how to use cameras, scanners, photos, illustrating software and other tools. They particularly enjoyed reading their prepared introduction for their readers (parents). We went outdoors, spread blankets, then each child was videoed as they read. These files were transferred to student-shr. (The database for students). The students developed on their writing and presentation skills. The experience encouraged new, creative expressions of ideas and accomplishments. A Digital Portfolio is accessible and portable so they got a chance to work on editing at home. The editing was on writing pieces though, since they database was not accessible from home. I recall having my students type their stories during a writing center and saving on Student-shr data base. They would eventually be required to complete it and add it to their digital portfolios. They enjoyed typing and correcting the highlighted words, then seeing the finished product. We shared these during student conferences. The video below provides snapshots of sample student digital portfolios. 



Tech Tool linkFlisti
This is a useful tool for students creating a digital portfolio. This website is said to be an easy poll builder. All that the builder needs to do is to enter a question then the possible responses and both embeddable HTML code and links to your favorite social networks are delivered instantly. Students could use a poll at the end of their digital portfolios, where readers could offer feedback from their reviews. I am sure they could appreciate this feedback.

Summary& Connection:
In learning, it helps to allow students to pursue their curiosities and become active participants in setting their own educational goals, managing their own learning, and assessing their own progress. We often don this using paper, but I feel that with the evolution of technology, we need to allow students to take the digital route. It allows them to learn different strategies, to build on their creativity and be able to share their work to the wider audience. It is time that teachers think outside of the box for the good of our students. The old ways is not always the best way.



Resources:

Maloy, R. W., Verock-O, R. E., Edwards, S. A., & Woolf, B. P. (2010). Transforming learning with new technologies. Allyn & Bacon.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you were a digital pioneer in your school leading the way for electronic portfolios! Kudos to you! There are so many good reasons to consider that option over the 'binders from yesteryear' for sure...and you outlined most of them. :) Nice job!

    ReplyDelete